Friday, March 6, 2009

Oaty, Nutty, Fruity, Seedy Cookies (aka Trail Mix Cookies)



I’m going to blog about a recipe that I won’t give you. “Hmm, cryptic”, you think. You’ll find out why, shortly.

I’m on a pseudo health kick so try to have semi-healthy items such as oaty biscuits instead of molten chocolate puddings with a side of cream. Yes, sometimes you just can’t put aside the craving for sugar or carbs so I hoped that this recipe I found for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (on page 9) would act as breakfast (I kid you not!), snack and dessert. (And isn’t the Home Economics booklet cute? Just like from my school days. I’ll probably make some of the other recipes as they use wholemeal flour instead of white).

So I took the base recipe and made a bunch of changes to it, some by mistake, some intentional, some successful, some not. These are the changes I made to the original recipe (listed below) and the outcome:

Change Number 1: Swapped out raisins for a trail mix – this one had pepita seeds, sunflower kernels, cranberries, raisins, hazelnuts and almonds. I chopped up the nuts and also threw in a bit of coconut.
Success Factor: Excellent.

Change Number 2: Doubling the original recipe.
Success Factor: Excellent.

Change Number 3: Using self raising wholemeal flour instead of plain wholemeal flour.
Success Factor: Undetermined - it probably didn’t affect the taste, but probably the texture.

Change Number 4: Using canola spread instead of margarine.
Success Factor: Low. The mix came out much wetter than a normal biscuit mix and I had to refrigerate it after the initial mix cooked like a brandy snap with trail mix and oats in it. Canola spread, however, does have 65% less saturated fat in it than butter and is cholesterol free so Health Factor: Excellent. The initial biscuit was really crumbly but the refrigerated batch wasn’t too bad – still cakey and a bit crumbly but didn’t break apart. I probably could have added more wholemeal flour but banned myself from doing any more experimenting.

I’d like to make these again one day, following the original recipe (though still using trail mix) just to see what they should turn out like, however, I still liked this healthy option. Good luck if you try this out!


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
From an English School’s Home Economics Programme

75g margarine
40g brown sugar
25g granulated sugar
2.5ml cinnamon (½ tsp)
75g oat flakes
½ egg
40g wholemeal flour
75g raisins
5ml vanilla essence (1 tsp)
15ml water (3 tsp)
1.25ml bicarbonate of soda (¼ tsp)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2. Cream the margarine with the sugars.
3. Beat egg in small bowl and half with partner, add vanilla and water.
4. Sift flour, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda onto a plate.
5. Add egg and flour alternately to the creamed mixture.
6. Finally add raisins and oats.
7. Make walnut sized balls, and lightly flatten them with fork.
8. Bake for 15 minutes, the edges will be crisp and centre will be soft.
9. Gently lift onto cooling tray.

No comments:

Post a Comment